There are a lot of qualities that people admire.
Talent.
Intelligence.
Confidence.
Charisma.
Success.
Those are the qualities that usually get the spotlight.
They're the ones we notice first, and often the ones we spend the most time trying to develop.
But there's another quality that quietly holds so many of those others together.
Reliability.
It isn't flashy.
It doesn't make headlines.
It probably won't earn you a standing ovation.
Yet if you asked someone to describe the person they trust the most, chances are they wouldn't start by talking about how talented or charismatic they are.
They'd probably describe someone who is reliable.
Someone who shows up.
Someone who follows through.
Someone whose word actually means something.
To me, keeping your word and honoring your promises are the backbone of reliability.
It's one thing to say you're going to do something.
It's another thing entirely to actually do it.
In fact, if I had to choose between someone who constantly tells me what they're going to do and someone who quietly does it without fanfare, I'll take the second person every single time.
That's why the old saying has stood the test of time:
Actions speak louder than words.
Words create expectations.
Actions create trust.
I've realized over the years that this is one area where I know myself really well.
If I tell someone we're going somewhere or doing something together, that commitment immediately finds its way onto my mental schedule.
Once we've agreed on it, it's no longer just an idea.
In my mind, it's a promise I've made to another person.
By the time that day arrives, very little else matters until I've honored that commitment.
My mind is already there.
I've also learned something about the way I schedule my life.
I don't schedule around my free time.
I schedule around my commitments.
Those two things might sound similar, but to me they're completely different.
Once I've told someone I'll be somewhere, that commitment becomes one of the anchors of my day.
Everything else gets scheduled around it because keeping my word has already become the priority.
If someone asks me what I'm doing later that same day, I'll often tell them I already have plans.
If I expect those plans to be over by the afternoon, I'll gladly say I should be free afterward.
But I intentionally avoid promising an exact time until my original commitment has been fulfilled.
I'd rather tell someone, "I'll let you know as soon as I'm done," than confidently promise something I may not be able to keep.
I never want to be in a position where keeping one commitment forces me to break another.
I know everyone is wired differently, and I'm certainly not saying this is the only way to approach life.
It's simply the philosophy that's worked for me.
I think part of that philosophy also comes from the season of life I'm in.
I'm single.
I don't have a spouse or children.
Outside of work, my schedule is generally very predictable.
I know what days I work, I know what time I get out, and beyond that, most of my calendar starts as free time unless I've already committed to something.
Many of my friends are in a very different season of life.
They have husbands or wives.
They have children.
Their calendars are already filled with school schedules, sports practices, doctor's appointments, family dinners, and countless responsibilities that naturally come with raising a family.
I don't look at that and think they're any less reliable.
If anything, I'd argue the exact opposite.
Being a good spouse and a good parent requires reliability every single day.
Your family depends on it.
You don't wake up each morning wondering if you feel like showing up.
You show up because the people you love are counting on you.
The difference isn't reliability.
The difference is where our commitments begin.
Their calendars are built around their families.
Mine usually starts with free time.
That's why I take the commitments I choose to make so seriously.
I've actually seen this play out with some of my own friendships.
We'll throw around ideas, settle on a tentative date, and everyone is genuinely excited to get together.
Then the day gets closer.
A child gets sick.
A spouse gets called into work.
Someone realizes there was already another family commitment on the calendar that they forgot about.
Suddenly, the plans have to be postponed.
Do I get disappointed?
Of course.
I was looking forward to seeing my friend.
But I don't hold it against them.
How could I?
Those aren't excuses.
They're responsibilities.
Sometimes I even catch myself wondering if I should bother making plans, knowing there's a decent chance they'll end up being rescheduled anyway.
But then I remind myself that this really isn't about reliability.
It's about reality.
When your life is full of standing commitments, sometimes you don't even realize how full your calendar already is until something overlaps.
What looked like free time a month ago suddenly disappears because life happened.
That doesn't make someone unreliable.
It simply means they're carrying commitments that I don't currently have.
It also reminds me to appreciate the flexibility I do have.
If I have the ability to be somewhere, and I've given someone my word that I'll be there, then that's exactly where I intend to be.
Ironically, this mindset also means I probably get more excited about plans than the average person.
Once I've committed to something, I've already started looking forward to it.
So when plans unexpectedly fall through, I genuinely feel disappointed.
Not because I'm angry.
Not because I think someone let me down.
But because I'd already mentally committed to the experience long before the day arrived.
In fact, I sometimes joke that I'm more excited about the plans than the person I'm making them with.
As funny as that sounds, I think it reveals something deeper.
When I commit to something, I don't just put it on my calendar.
I put it in my priorities.
That's how trust is built.
One kept promise at a time.
Every time you do what you said you were going to do, you're making another small deposit into the trust you've built with the people around you.
Most people won't notice each individual deposit.
But over weeks...
Months...
Years...
They add up to something incredibly valuable.
And here's the part I think we sometimes overlook.
The reason actions speak louder than words isn't because words don't matter.
It's because actions are what give your words their value in the first place.
When someone consistently backs up what they say with what they do, something interesting begins to happen.
Their words start carrying weight.
If they tell you they'll be there...
You believe them.
If they say they'll finish something...
You stop wondering whether it'll actually happen.
Their reputation has already answered the question.
I think of it like a play-action pass in football.
A play-action pass only works if the defense genuinely believes the offense is willing and able to run the football.
If a team has established the run over and over again, the defense has to respect it.
They react to the fake handoff because they've repeatedly experienced the real thing.
But if the offense never runs the ball?
The fake doesn't fool anyone.
Reliability works the exact same way.
Your actions establish the run.
Every promise you keep.
Every commitment you honor.
Every time you follow through when you said you would.
You're establishing a pattern.
Eventually, people stop questioning your words because your actions have already proven they can trust them.
In other words...
Actions may speak louder than words.
But consistent actions are what make your words worth listening to.
Unfortunately, the opposite is also true.
Trust can be damaged much faster than it's built.
A broken promise.
Repeated excuses.
Consistently saying one thing while doing another.
Those withdrawals can erase years of deposits.
That's why reliability isn't something you earn once and keep forever.
It's something you continue earning every single day.
Now, being reliable doesn't mean being perfect.
Reliable people make mistakes.
They forget things.
They miss deadlines.
Life happens.
The difference is what comes next.
A reliable person owns the mistake.
They communicate honestly.
They apologize when necessary.
They make every reasonable effort to make things right.
Reliability isn't about never falling short.
It's about refusing to hide from your shortcomings when you do.
I've also noticed that truly reliable people rarely spend time convincing others they're reliable.
They don't need to.
Their actions have already done the talking.
At the end of the day, talent might open a door.
Charisma might leave a great first impression.
Success might attract attention.
But reliability is what keeps people coming back.
Because reliability earns something that can't be demanded and can't be bought.
It earns trust.
And trust is built one kept promise at a time.
Maybe one of the greatest compliments a person can ever receive isn't,
"They're incredibly talented."
Or,
"They're incredibly successful."
Maybe it's something much simpler.
"If they said they'd do it... they'll do it."
To me, that's a reputation worth building.
As always, thanks for reading!
Until next week!

No comments:
Post a Comment